Search This Blog

Thursday 4 January 2024

Brothers, Sisters ...12

 

  


It's Country versus Soul this week

In the Country corner we have the soft rock of David Milton Bellamy and Homer Howard Bellamy better known simply and not surprisingly as The Bellamy Brothers.

They had two massive hits in the mid to late 70s which I must admit that I quite enjoy in a Guilty Pleasure sort of a way not that I would have admitted it at the time. You don't get any softer Country rock than this.

In the Soul corner we have the Hill Sisters. As is often the way Discogs name a few acts called the Hill Sisters. I am reasonably confident that they are Hill Sisters (2) namely Fay and Mary Hill straight outta Compton. 

Having said that I couldn't find a picture of them so you will have to make do with a picture of the record I am featuring. Oh My Love, Sweet Love with My Lover on the other side was released by Space Records in 1971 (although one site says 1965).

The median price on Discogs is £107 with the highest price paid being £157.99. You could probably get the Bellamy Brothers to play in your house for that price. Sadly I  only have digital versions of the songs in question.

It's the Sisters for me this week

Bellamy Brothers - Let Your Love Flow

Bellamy Brothers - If I Said You Had a Beautiful Body (Would You Hold it Against Me)

Hill Sisters -Oh My Love, Sweet Love

Hill Sister -My Lover


10 comments:

  1. I am not going to listen to those brothers tracks. I am looking forward to the Hill Sisters songs......

    ReplyDelete
  2. No need to feel guilty about liking 'Let Your Love Flow'. At least one zeitgeist surfer of my acquaintance loves that song. Not so much their other one though, so on balance my vote goes to the Sisters.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Played both on youtube, and the second song (and the better one of the two) segues into a great cover of Under My Thumb by Del Shannon- Anyway, my vote goes to the sisters

    ReplyDelete
  4. Have The Sisters Of Mercy featured in this series?

    ReplyDelete
  5. or Brother Beyond?

    ReplyDelete
  6. If the 1970s Spence was voting it would definitely be for the Sisters all day long but only as an anti Brothers vote. The 2024 Spence has a trickier choice but I'll just about go with the sisters. Ask me again in 2034!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm surprising myself by agreeing with the rest that its The Sisters for me too. As a great lover of soft rock I felt sure it would be them (and I still have to laugh when I see the full title of their "If I Said... song".

    ReplyDelete
  8. Blimey - median price? You can tell you're friends with a maths teacher.

    If I Said You Had a Beautiful Body (Would You Hold it Against Me) would get the Brothers cancelled these days, so I'll vote for the sisters too. Even though I have a soft spot for the Bellamies.

    ReplyDelete