Search This Blog

Friday 12 January 2024

Risin' Outlaw

 


2024 Charity Shop Purchases #2 - Hank Williams III - Risin' Outlaw

My first non Frightened Rabbit Charity Shop purchase of 2024 was Risin' Outlaw the 1999 debut album by Hank Williams III (or just Hank III for short) on the Curb label

It is the kind of Americana honky tonk which immediately put me in mind of Wayne Hancock. Hardly surprising given that three of the songs on the album (including the first one below) are pretty faithful covers of songs written and recorded by Wayne.

It turns out that Hank, or III as I'll call him, is not a fan of this album and considers Lovesick, Broke and Driftin' as his "real debut" .In his words I'm not happy with it. I hate it; can't even listen to but maybe two songs on it. I said (to the label) that every damn interview that I do I ain't gonna talk good about it. Curb thinks this album is so different and so alternative. It's a headache

I quite like it which is hardly surprising given I am a big Wayne the Train fan.

He joins his more famous grandfather and his half-sister Holly on the shelves. Hell will freeze over before his father Hank Williams Jr joins them.

The original owner of the CD paid £15.99 for the privilege at Tower Records! For one second I thought that the lady who couldn't get the till open and then gave me change of a fiver rather than a tenner was going to charge me that rather than the pound it cost me.

Hank Williams III - 87 Southbound

Hank Williams III - You're the Reason

5 comments:

  1. Charity shops really need to remove old price stickers before putting things on their shelves - or at least offer better staff training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you are being a bit hard on Hank Jr. He had his moments (although admittedly not many)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's one: https://youtu.be/8ji_byLzeBk?si=vKpjLIBdGW3_oizE

      Delete
  3. "The original owner of the CD paid £15.99 for the privilege". I see what Rol said, but it should never reach that stage as anyone who buys mew music should immediately remove any price stickers from any cover/sleeve!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't disagree with you there, JC.

    ReplyDelete