Search This Blog

Thursday 4 November 2021

Superwolves

 


2021 Charity Shop Purchases 77 - Matt Sweeney & Bonnie Prince Billy - Superwolves

The Community Shop in Dingwall was selling CDs at four for a pound. Not that unusual these days but what was unusual was that there were three relatively new ones on the shelves which were absolute corkers.

I've a couple of things by Bonnie Prince Billy so Superwolves by Matt Sweeney (music) and Bonnie Prince Billy (words) caught my eye. It looked pretty new but it wasn't until I got home that I realised how new having only been released on 30th April this year. Someone must have played it once and handed it in.
On the Domino label who advise that the twin forces united to save up from the complicity of our own distruction whereas Pitchfork state that their bond is so deep, and their knowledge of one another is so profound, it’s essentially impossible to hear the boundary between them. 
Indeed it is worth listening to the Pitchfork article by Marty Sartini Garner in its entirity

After my first listen I wasn't quite sure. Not enough to chuck it back mind you. By the second listen I was hooked. I'm hearing comparisons to Dan Penn and Spooner Oldham with There Must Be a Someone putting me in mind of Gene Clark.You will not here a better song today.
Yes , it's that good. I'm putting this one down as a find.
Available on Bandcamp for those not fortunate enough to stumble across it

Matt Sweeney & Bonnie Prince Billy - There Must Be a Someone

Matt Sweeney & Bonnie Prince Billy - My Blue Suit

No comments:

Post a Comment