Search This Blog

Thursday 16 April 2020

Under the Covers


Over the years Matthew Sweet and Susannah Hoffs have enjoyed a successful partnership recording covers of famous pop songs.
There were three Under the Covers albums released between 2006 and 2013 followed by  a 4 CD/6 LP Box Set Completely Under the Covers compilation and now a more affordable  2CD or 2LP The Best of Under the Covers.
Fairly faithful covers with one or other taking the lead, some pleasant harmonies and just a little hint of the power pop that Matthew is famous for.

All of which begs the question: why was the previously featured Susannah Hoffs album When You're a Boy and in particular her cover of Bowie's Boys Keep Swinging so godamm awful?

Matthew Sweet and Susannah Hoffs - You're My Favorite Waste of Time

Matthew Sweet and Susannah Hoffs - You're So Vain

6 comments:

  1. I really love their Albums. Great versions of Songs everybody knows. And I planed to feature a few of them the next days.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do Walter - plenty more to choose from

      Delete
  2. I have found that Boys Keep Swinging cover. It's so bad it's induced the dog lying next to me to fart

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh, that's right up my street. Looks like this weekend's sorted! Thanks, CC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. like all of the volumes and splurged for the vinyl box set when it came out a couple of years ago. As much as I love the choices the duo made and the versions they recorded, the vinyl themselves were of very poor quality. Just putting that out there so nobody else makes the same mistake. It was pretty expensive. I will probably dump them at some point and replace with CDs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Best Of collection - has just flopped on my door mat.
    OK, it may not be stretching the bounds of musicality, but it is all done really, really well.
    Stuff I never knew - My Favourite Waste Of Time was I thought a 1986 song by One Hit Wonder Owen Paul was the original version. I am now investigating the works of Marshall Lee Crenshaw (who I thought was Rich Hall's alter ego)

    ReplyDelete