Search This Blog

Wednesday 29 April 2020

Covers 16. R. B. Greaves does Procol Harum


George writes:
No one in their right mind would dispute that this is a damned famous song. And Ronald Bertram Aloysius Greaves knocks out a very fine, and soul-gospel-tinged reproduction.


I have read that R.B. Greaves’ best known song is Take A Letter To Maria, so I looked it out. Never knowingly heard it, and never knowingly going to play it again. Unlike today’s song.




A teacher colleague of mine bought me a Procol Harum album. He saw it in a junk shop, and gave it to me with words to the effect of “this is a terrible album I thought you would like it”. That album was Grand Hotel, and yes, it is truly terrible (you were right John).


About 43 years ago, I can remember walking, with a friend, to his house, carrying a few singles to play. Eddie, for he was the friend, was also carrying a record or two, one of which was an original 7-inch single of Whiter Shade of Pale on the Deram label. At the top of our cul-de-sac, we turned left (you can see where this going can’t you?), Eddie stumbled and dropped that single and it dropped straight down a drain. He did not tell his (rather strict) father what had happened.  It’s strange, the things we remember from our childhood.



And today’s Portuguese version, well, having read the accompanying lyrics, they are certainly not an attempt to translate them, I’m quite certain any attempt to try and reproduce them would (a) be meaningless to any Portuguese listeners, laughably so,  and (b) be impossible to scan with the music. Instead, they come up with what I would describe as a lyric intended to be reflective and thought-provoking. Which sounds really pretentious, but I’m going to keep it in. Unless CC edits it out or adds something even more inane. (I'll let it slide ...Ed)





Another very very famous song next week.

4 comments:

  1. Can I just append this Whiter Shade of Pale cover (https://youtu.be/7tPtS92WOQA), because it makes me want a baroque lute....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Is there a version where Daniel Estrem sings whilst luting?

      Delete
  2. Nice one Martin. George you're right about R.B Greaves' great cover but you were a little harsh on Take A Message Maria I thought - it's in my top 10,000 songs of all time.

    ReplyDelete