Search This Blog

Wednesday 8 April 2020

Speed of the Sound of Loneliness



When you said you’d never heard of John Prine
Well I knew right away you weren’t worth my time
Zoe Muth and the Lost High Rollers - If I can't Trust You With a Quarter (How Can I Trust You With My Heart?)



A post that sadly we knew was coming as we've lost the legend that is John Prine to Covid -19.
Another great gone. It's fast becoming 2016 all over again.

A true legend and a genius songwriter who operated slightly under the radar.I came across his solo work gradually but when I eventually  did I realised that I was familiar with many of his great songs.

Sam Stone, Speed of the Sound of Loneliness, Angel From Montgomery , and the list goes on. Other singers were queueing up to cover them with much of the public totally oblivious as to the genius who wrote them

A few years ago Mrs CC and I won tickets to see him at the Glasgow Concert Hall. He was extremely late coming on stage and the audience were becoming increasingly restless.
When he eventually did come on he was genuinely apologetic and embarassed  and produced a concert of absolutely awesome brilliance.

note from his record company and his wife
One of the good guys.
Rest easy John

John Prine - Speed of the Sound of Loneliness

Bonnie Raitt - Angel From Montgomery

John Prine - They'll Never Take Her Love From Me

Swamp Dogg - Sam Stone



5 comments:

  1. Hi CC,
    I really like the Bonnie Raitt version of "Angel From Montgomery."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw the Glasgow Concert Hall show but my favourite John Prine gig was at Glasgow's Old Fruitmarket. About 1000 people, most of whom knew every John Prine song by heart but didn't sing unless John asked them to join in.

    Hadn't heard that Swamp Dogg version of Sam Stone - powerful stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly I never got the Chance to see him on stage. Listened to his Songs a few days ago and have to admit that it was Genius stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A very sad day. That Swamp Dogg version of Sam Stone really is terrific.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, it's been a pretty awful couple of weeks for this. I'd like to hope this will be the end of it, but I suspect it won't be.

    Been trying to compile a Top Ten... it's hard graft.

    ReplyDelete