Search This Blog

Saturday 11 April 2020

50 Americana Albums You Should Hear Before You Die - Can You Fly


This week's offering is Can You Fly by Freedy Johnston, his second album from 1992, which was released on Bar/None Records.
I can't remember how it crossed my radar but at the time I was mildly obsessed with it. I played it constantly and We Will Shine featured on any CD compilation I made around then.

Wiki states that his songs are  often about troubled loners, and cover topics like heartbreak, alienation, and disappointment, So ideal for this series then.I mean who else has released a song about The Mortician's Daughter?

I read that Freedy has released 13 albums as well as one with Jon Dee Graham as the Hobart Brothers and another with Jon Dee and Susan Cowsill as the Hobart Brothers and L'il Sister Hobert .
Strangely, for me, I have never felt the urge to track down any of his other records. I'm not sure why given the quality of Can You Fly. Having said that in the unlikely event of one popping up in a charity shop I would certainly pounce.

Get your red dress on, we'll go out tonight

Freedy Johnston - In The New Sunshine

Freedy Johnston - We Will Shine

Freedy Johnston - The Mortician's Daughter


2 comments:

  1. You should track down The Trouble Tree too, fine debut.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just catching up with what appears to have been a stellar week at CCM. I stuck with Freedy until about the turn of the century. Some fine albums to explore, CC, but you do feature the best one today, in my humble opinion. My favorite song from Can You Fly is Responsible. Bar/None got the best of him, but This Perfect World was well received commercially and critically here in America when he debuted with Elektra.

    ReplyDelete