Search This Blog

Wednesday 15 April 2020

Covers 14. Al Green does The Box Tops

George writes:

Once again playing fast and loose with the concept of “very very famous”, but the original will be a song that all 23 readers will be familiar with. And this cover, on a very early Al Green album, is brilliant, and far superior to the original, which is itself a perfectly decent song. But this version, it’s sublime:


After many hours minutes of searching I can find no Portuguese or Brazilian cover, or any cover in any other language, or any other cover that is worth listening to. So that’s your lot this week.

Another one next week. Maybe.

CC writes:
Short but sweet this week George.
As you point out the original is not as well known as most of the others in this series, so on the off chance that there may be a 24th reader out there here is the original:




8 comments:

  1. At least you can console yourself with the fact you have 23 readers. According to George I only have 18 (and I suspect some of those only look at the pictures)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ernie,
      It's taken me over 7.5 years of blood,sweat and tears and hard graft to reach these dizzy heights. I suspect that the only way is down

      Delete
    2. Look, at least you two get double figures, vastly more than my own poor attempt at this lark. Which is why I threw a strop and called it a day

      Delete
  2. An absolutely awful version of a great song that I may not be able to forgive the Rev for. The original was written Wayne Carson and the singer on the recording was a 16 year old Alex Chilton who sounds at least double that age on it. One of my all time sub 2 minutes records

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you may have upset George, Drew
      Well done!

      Delete
    2. Surprised not shocked. Drew, you're wrong there.

      Delete
  3. Folks, break it up, break it up! Don't make me come over there. Here is a fact. The Letter by the Box Tops was a huge hit here in America. It went to No. 1 in 1967 and stayed there for four weeks. It has stood up very well and is still played on the radio regularly. Now my opinion: There is no way to tell the story of Alex Chilton's career (or put together a mix tape of his work) without starting with the Letter. It is 1:58 of perfection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brian for qualifying the song as very famous. I hope you liked Al Green's version.

      Delete