Search This Blog

Monday 20 April 2020

Life Stiffs


I'm not quite sure how the subject came up but on Saturday night's Zoom session with my pals we ended up talking about Stiff Records and Life Stiffs.
I got very excited and dug out the above album from the 1977 Bunch of Stiffs tour and presented it to the camera.
An impressive cast.
Elvis Costello is joined by the classic Attractions line up of Steve Neive, Pete Thomas and Bruce Thomas
Ian Dury is joined by the New Boots and Panties Blockheads line up of  Chaz Jankel, Norman Watt-Roy and Charley Charles together with John Turnbull, Davey Payne and Mickey Gallagher.

In the order that they appear of the sleeve the other acts featured are Wreckless Eric & the New Rockets,Nick Lowe's Last Chicken in the Soup and Larry Walls' Psychedelic Rowdies.
They don't name bands like that any more!


Elvis Costello & the Attractions - Miracle Man

Ian Dury & the Blockheads - Wake Up and Make Love With Me

3 comments:

  1. There was a certain ramshackle nature to that whole tour and recording - there's a documentary somewhere (on Amazon Prime I think?) which underlines this.
    Elvis Costello's performance always seems somewhat detached from the others. Whilst Eric, Nick, Ian et al seem to be having the most fun, Elvis is very professional. All great players though, and that is one superb album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was one of the first records (maybe about the tenth) I ever bought. I have the first edition cover, however. It's similar, but I have to say I like it better than this one above.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I treasure my copy bought in the cut out section of EJ Korvettes Department Store record department! The version of Ian Dury And The Blockhead's Wake Up And Make Love To Me is my favorite track. Costello And The Attractions' venomous version of Miracle Man is great as well.

    ReplyDelete