Search This Blog

Sunday 5 April 2020

Ain't No Sunshine


It was sad to read of the death of Bill Withers at the age of 81
I am not a fan of Lovely Day and that put me off exploring his music for a while.
Then I picked up a Best Of in a Record Library sale to find out that he had a lot of songs much better than that one.
The best of them all is I Can't Write Left Handed  which I have on A Soldier's Sad Story - Vietnam through the eyes of Black America 1966-73 a brilliant compilation on the Kent label which you should try and get your hands on.

From what I've read since his passing it looks as though he was a sound bloke.

Rest easy Bill

Bill Withers - Lonely Town, Lonely Street

Bill Withers - Ain't No Sunshine

Bill Withers - Who Is He (And What Is He to You?)

Bill Withers - I Can't Write Left Handed

4 comments:

  1. Walter posted a 30 mnute show the other day, which is well well worth wtaching. Some people might even convert into mp3 files! Have you got the album Live at Carnegie Hall?

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Still Bill: The Bill Withers Story" is a documentary worth seeing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chose Lovely Day to accompany a blog post I wrote last year about our “lovely day out”. Found out so much about Bill I hadn’t known about - a sound bloke as you say. Ain’t No Sunshine one of my all time favourites though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew you'd pick I Can't Write Left Handed.

    I don't share your dislike of Lovely Day, though I do understand why some people don't like it. It's the Beatles effect.

    My own Top Ten follows tomorrow, and these all feature... except Lonely Town, which may well have been #11.

    ReplyDelete