Search This Blog

Monday 17 April 2023

GYBR

 


 2023 Charity Shop Purchases #46 - Elton John -Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

More Old Man music for you today.Given that my statistics are rapidly plunging month on month I might as well go for broke.
My most recent visit to Troon and this was my first purchase in Oxfam. There were a further four purchases from other charity shops which will feature this week and which  are all probably more left field.

Surprisingly this is a record that I have never owned before. Indeed the only Elton's I have are a couple of Best Ofs. The second of those was purchased in Nairn last year. From  the 34 tracks on offer the 3 that I chose on that occasion were three  of the four best known from Goodbye Yellow Brick Road Elton's seventh studio album from 1073 on the Mercury label.

That rules out 3 of the 17 tracks from the album featuring today (4 if you count Candle in the Wind). Two non-singles then in the shape of Sweet Painted Lady and Roy Rogers.I was wondering if the latter had ever featured on Rol's impressive Celebrity Jukebox series.I don't think he has but I'm happy to be proved wrong. He has however feature this song on a Snapshots Spillover post





4 comments:

  1. Yeah, I should delete that Snapshots Spillover post as I'll no doubt be revisiting most of the people there at some point... or maybe not, as most of them are still alive and I only seem to have time for the dead these days. Beyond Elton, Roy Rogers is a scary prospect - I bet there's a shedload of country songs that mention him.

    GBYBR is one of the two Elton albums I own on CD (not counting best ofs), and I think it's one of his best. But I'm always on the look-out for others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I recommend Tumbleweed Connection

      Delete
  2. I'm not a fan of Elton the man but I am a great fan of Bernie Taupin's lyrics which led to the songs. I found out recently he was only 17 when he started firing his "poems" over to Elton and only 19 when they headed over to America for that career-changing performance at the Troubador. 19 and never been kissed, but all that soon changed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rather stunned to realise that I don't have a single Elton John album or single in my entire collection especially considering my wife is a Watford FC fan of long standing/suffering

    ReplyDelete