Search This Blog

Wednesday 19 April 2023

Fashion Nugget

 


 2023 Charity Shop Purchases #48  - CAKE - Fashion Nugget

People often refer to me as a Fashion Nugget. So often, in fact, that most now abbreviate it and settle for calling me a Nugget.

I thought I may had already got Fashion Nugget the second album by CAKE  (I'll come back to the capitals) from 1996 on the Capricorn label. A quick check of the data base confirmed that the only album of theirs that I had was its successor 1998's Prolonging the Magic and so it was duly purchased.

The fact that I have a CD single of the track The Distance and the song Frank Sinatra from a Sopranos soundtrack merely added to the confusion.

I think that Frank Sinatra merits a further appearance and I will also throw in their cover of Gloria Gaynor's epic I Will Survive

Band names in capitals? Just marginally less annoying that band names where the vowels have been removed.

CAKE - Frank Sinatra

CAKE - I Will Survive

6 comments:

  1. "People often refer to me as a Fashion Nugget"..........it's that Jimmy Perez jacket

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great album. I wasn't aware they insisted on capitals. I never comply with such nonsense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Said it before nearly every band that insist on capitals are brilliant. SWC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A great album and no mistake. This used to live in my car 24/7 along with Eels' first album which I seem to remember buying around the same time?

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have to love CAKE don't you?. Brilliant. For some head scratching reason they're miles under the radar of whoever/whatever passes as arbiters of the musical zeitgeist. Got a few albums by them but they seem not to have put anything out for a few years so perhaps they've split up. I can't abide the song I Will Survive no matter who sings it but if it's a great cover you're after look no further than their take on Ruby, Don't Take Your Love To Town

    ReplyDelete