Search This Blog

Wednesday 5 April 2023

The Debra Haul 2 - Countdown to Ecstasy

 


2023 Charity Shop Purchases #41 - Steely Dan - Countdown to Ecstasy

It was a busy day so the second trip to Debra was a quick five minute in and out job. Just enough time to find Street -Legal and grab another 5 CDs.

One of these was Countdown to Ecstasy the second studio album by Steely Dan from 1973 on MCA records.Like  Be-Bop Deluxe I was more familiar with the name than the music. I knew a little more about Steeley Dan - I knew that they had albums called Aja and Pretzel Logic, songs called Reelin' in the Years and Rikki Don't Loose That Number and that the main men were Donald Fagen and Walter Becker.

I also had a nagging fear that their music could be described as Jazz Fusion a fear that was indeed confirmed when listening to Countdown to Ecstasy although I did manage to last the entire 41 minutes and 4 seconds.

I'm afraid that none of the eight tracks made a lasting impression on me. I have chosen these two as they were the singles from the album reaching the dizzy heights of 61 and 63 on the Billboard charts. Some folk must like them as in the Guardian's ranked list of the bands 20 best songs Show Biz Kids is number 18 with My Old School reaching the dizzy heights of  number 8

I'm still not convinced that it is a keeper although I am sure that some of you may try to persuade me.In the meantime I'm happy that I can file them next to Steeleye Span

Steely Dan - Show Biz Kids

Steely Dan -My Old School


10 comments:

  1. Some people think Steely Dan are good. They are of course wrong, Bin this one

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, of course, disagree with George, though it did take me a long time to truly appreciate the glory of The Dan. This is a great record. Keep it and play it till you see the light.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I first heard Steely Dan on the radio in the late '70s, so they've had 45 years to convince me that they're good. It hasn't happened yet.
    --Marc

    ReplyDelete
  4. As things stand 3-1 to the doubters!

    ReplyDelete
  5. 3-2 - Steely Dan are magnificent! This album should be a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The equaliser!

    My favourite band ever (just pipping Roxy if my arm was twisted). I refuse to hear a bad thing said about them!
    Ecstasy was my entrance point back in '73 when I had a long list of albums to buy but only pocket money to spend. I consider myself lucky to have plumped for it. Still one of my favourite albums. All Dan's 70s albums are essential in my book.

    Remember seeing them at Bristol Hippodrome in '74. It was encore time, they asked for requests and I shouted "My Old School" very loud, they duly obliged. (It was a no brainer really, the only one of their more radio friendly ones they hadn't already played in the set).

    Nothing like Jazz Fusion in the accepted sense but some jazz influences (time signatures etc). Discogs puts the album in the Pop Rock category, which is an insult.

    They are a difficult band to pigeon hole, and seem to be a marmite band.
    I urge you to persevere, and a whole new musical world will open up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Dan fanatic above is me by the way. So long since I posted a comment on a blog my settings were preventing my identity showing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good to hear from you Darcy although I am still not convinced!

      Delete
    2. Good to hear from you Darcy although I am still not convinced!

      Delete
  8. Haven't ditched it yet though

    ReplyDelete