Search This Blog

Tuesday 18 April 2023

Mighty Sparrow

 



 2023 Charity Shop Purchases #47 -Mighty Sparrow

The Ayrshire Hospice shop in Troon is a big barn of a place. It sells vinyl on skirt hangers and the usual rubbish selection of CDs that you will often find in charity shops. I could be wrong but I don't think I've ever picked up anything from there before.
It is probably one of the last places in the world that you would expect to come across a CD by Slinger  Francisco or to give him his stage name Mighty Sparrow.

Volume 2 of the Carribean Classics Series on the Ice label from 1993 which has a median price on Discogs of £9.72. Not bad for 50p. I think it could very well be the first Calypso album on the shelves.
Was it a holiday purchase or is there a Calypso scene in Ayrshire that I am unaware of?
Slinger is known as the Calypso King of the World and has been active since 1949.Looking at his discography his last album appears to be Live at 85! from 2020

Tower Records who are selling it for £12.00 write once again Sparrow, with his voice of honey, croons through a selection of hits showing his versatility in humorous witty songs, full of the double entendre that marks calypso to his more serious biting social commentary

I suspect Ernie may approve.



1 comment:

  1. Ernie does. He is one of my musical heroes. I have 15-20 of his albums (a small percentage of his total output) and was lucky enough to see him live about 15 years ago.

    ReplyDelete