Search This Blog

Monday 10 April 2023

Til The Wheels Fall Off

 


2023 Charity Shop Purchases #45 - Amy Rigby -Til The Wheels Fall Off

I fairly regularly visit the Ayrshire seaside town of Troon with Mrs CC and her mum. I usually take the opportunity to slope off to the Oxfam book/music shop on a solo mission. There are not that many CDs but they are reasonably priced for Oxfam and so far this year I have come away with albums by Marvin Gaye, Smokey Robinson & the Miracles and Emmylou Harris.

My last visit resulted in a slightly more obscure artist when I picked up Til the Wheels Fall Off by Amy Rigby her 5th solo album from 2003 on Glasgow's own Spit & Polish/Shoeshine Records.

I have a few of Amy's songs digitally but this is the first time I have acquired anything by her in a physical format. I suspect that Rol will approve as I know that he is a big fan wth his blog providing a link to the Diary of Amy Rigby.

She writes quirky and amusing songs which are usually  about the occasional pleasures and frequent pitfalls of life as a single woman past 30 (AllMusic) In the comments to the article Roxanne hits the nail on the head Her voice and selection of style always matches her topics. She is as underrated as a singer as she is as a songwrite

An excellent find and I didn't even mention that she is now Mrs Wreckless Eric.

Amy Rigby - Why Do I

Amy Rigby - Don't Ever Change


3 comments:

  1. Rol is not the only fan. Have a fair few of her records and been lucky enough to see her live several times. She's always excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great album. I wish she'd come to my neck of the woods for a live show.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She has a wonderful autobiography out -- "Girl to City" - that chronicles her Pittsburgh teen years, art student in NYC attending punk shows, through finally getting up on stage herself, marriage/divorce to The Dbs drummer Will Rigby etc....

    ReplyDelete