Search This Blog

Thursday 13 April 2023

XTC

 


You will be glad to know that I have purchased a few more charity CDs which will no doubt feature here shortly.

In the meantime I was thinking of something to fill the void when the word, or is it initials, XTC popped into my head.

A great singles band (and quite possibly the best band ever to have come out of Swindon) they were on the go from 1972 to 2006 . To my shame I don't have any albums by them with the exceptions of the twin compilations Waxworks - Some Singles 1977-1982 and Beeswax - Some B-Sides 1977 -1982. Also to add to my shame they have only ever made fleeting appearances on these pages before and never in a dedicated post on their own. Time to right that wrong. 

There are so many great songs to choose from that I suspect I will have to return at a later stage to do them justice.

The first three choices are from the Waxworks era. Making Plans for Nigel is from 1979 and is dedicated to the guy of the same name who kicked in the door of our room on our first night in the staff residences of the Marine Hotel,North Berwick that year with the immortal words " I was promised girls".

No similar stories I'm afraid for the next two which haven't featured here before namely 1980's Generals and Majors and 1982's Senses Working Overtime. My final selection the brilliant Love on a Farm Boy's Wages is from 1983 and therefore does not appear on Waxworks.

I really need to pick up more of their albums none of which I'ver ever seen in a charity shop.

XTC - Making Plans For Nigel

XTC -Generals and Majors

XTC - Senses Working Overtime

XTC - Love on a Farmboy's Wages

4 comments:

  1. I've never seen any XTC records in charity shops either. Nobody wants to get rid of them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They had a good run didn't they so surprised you've never found any in charity shops but as Rol says they are probably keepers.

    Think you've mentioned your summer at the Marine Hotel before - did Nigel ever find any girls I wonder and... poor door.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant band. There are xtc conventions (one last year) where you can get a tour of all the important places related to the band members. It does attract people from all over the world. I would say the first two albums are varied in quality but after that pick up anything. Andy Partridge reckons the last 2 albums are underrated and i would agree with him. (Apple Venus/Wasp Star).

    ReplyDelete