Search This Blog

Friday 21 April 2023

I Hope They Let Us In

 


 2023 Charity Shop Purchases #50 - Gene Parsons - In Concert - I Hope They Let Us In

The name Gene Parsons was not one that I was not totally familiar with. Gram Parsons (no relation) - yes  and Gene Clark - yes

It turns out he was in the Byrds from 1968 to 1972. Both Gram Parsons and Gene Clark were also involved with the band during that period. He became a member of the Flying Burrito Brothers a couple of years after Gram Parsons died. So far, so incestious.

He is a multi -instrumentalists  who released two solo albums Kindling in 1973 and Melodies in 1979. This was his only live album described on Amazon as being issued on his own label/company (String Bender Records) dedicated to string-bending and the pedal steel guitar style. 

Along with fellow Byrd Clarence White he is credited with inventing the B-Bender (aka StringBender) a devise which allows a guitarist to emulate the sound of a pedal steel guitar.

AllMusic give it 5/5, although I can't find a copy of the review, with RateYour Music giving it 4.2/5.Without giving it a score No Depression clearly liked it highlighting his impeccable technique with various stringed instruments.

It seems to be a sought after record with Discogs quoting a median price of £30.77. I got this and yesterday's Louvin Brothers for a pound. It was actually 4 for a pound but I could only see two I liked but being the generous sort I gave them a pound anyway!

Given his impressive moustache  I suspect he must have Dundonian heritage.

Gene Parsons - Gunga Din

Gene Parsons - Willin'


2 comments:

  1. Not all Dundonians sport a "bigode"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Liked the Gunga Din track. One thing leads to another doesn't it. I knew the line 'You're a better man than I am Gunga Din' from family mentions in my childhood but knew nothing more about it. Turns out it's from a Kipling poem which I've just read. Ooooof! Controversial (and powerful) stuff. Gene Parsons says he used the name purely for a rhyme and wasn't referring at all to Kipling or the poem. Also, I had no idea that possession of a moustache connected oneself to Dundee, I'd better check out my family tree. Your blog's an education sometimes.

    ReplyDelete