Search This Blog

Monday 9 January 2023

My Record of 2018


 

The other day I dug out The Last of the Gracious Losers for a long overdue listen. I knew that it would have probably been my record of the year when it was released and a quick search of the blog confirmed that indeed it was.

What I was suprised about that it was as far back as 2018. How time flies. For anyone interested here is a list of my top 10 albums for that year. There are a couple there that would also merit from a dust down and a listen

A nine piece band led by guitarist and singer Jonathan Lilly the Gracious Losers also contains members of the former band Thrum (namely Johnny Smillie, Monica Queen and Gary Johnston). The four members of Sister John - Jonathan, his partner Amanda McKeown (the band leader), Heather Phillips and Sophie Pragnell also feature.

Released on Last Night from Glasgow they followed it up with the Covid delayed Six Road Ends in 2021.

Whereas the mix of country, soul, psychedelia and gospel sounds suberb on record the band come into their own in a live setting. If you ever get the chance go and see them. You will be blown away.

Gracious Losers -Where The River Meets the Sea

Gracious Losers - Hey, I'm Riding Low



4 comments:

  1. Still not convinced about Carla J Easton five years on

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mrs CC agrees with you!
      An acquired taste
      Prefer her earlier stuff to her newer more popy stuff

      Delete
    2. A wise woman, that Mrs CC. Be guided by her and Val and you can't go far wrong

      Delete
  2. I'm more an admirer of Gracious Losers than a huge fan. Maybe I need that live experience to be converted.

    ReplyDelete