Search This Blog

Monday 16 January 2023

Us And Only Us

 



2023 Charity Shop Purchases #2 - The Charlatans - Us and Only Us

As I've mentioned before The Charlatans are yet another band which pretty much passed me by over the years when I was pretty much totally immersed in Americana.

For the record I'm talking about the British band as opposed to the American one - see here

Over the last few years I have picked up a couple of their albums in charity shops so it was a bit of a no brainer when I saw Us and Only Us in the Cancer Research shop in Crieff.

From 1999 and on the Universal label it was their sixth studio album.It has variously been described as country rock,folk and roots rock all of which are no bad thing in my book. And others it seems as it was critically well received. Walter12 on  rateyourmusic.com writes that it is  a record that succeeds in applying the melodic lessons of Britpop within a slower-burning, Neo-Psychedelic setting in a way that plays far better to the band's strengths. 

I like it.

The Charlatans - Forever

The Charlatans - My Beautiful Friend

4 comments:

  1. I've not heard anything, knowingly, by them apart from the Some Friendly album. These two tracks are very good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Forever is ace, one of their great 90s singles.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A terrific album, the last I really got into until Modern Nature in 2015.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Beautiful Friend and Impossible from that same album remain my favourite Charlatans' tracks tho' I've lost touch with them since Simpatico in the mid noughties

    ReplyDelete