Search This Blog

Friday 20 January 2023

Revolution Rock

 


I have two or three notebooks strewn across my desk.There is no rhyme or logic but they all in no order contain thoughts for the blog, lists of albums to be explored and potential series'

The other day I was looking for the page where I take a note of the locations where I make charity shop purchases when I stumbled on a list of songs which I had titled Revolution Rock. It was obviously as a thought to a potential series.

Alternately I was maybe thinking about the state of the country and that a revolution would not be a bad idea.It's not the British way though is it?

As I have been a bit stuck for inspirations and my Townes series has come to an end this is ideal for a new Friday series.I will post them in the order that I have jotted them down and that should fill a gap for several weeks.

It won't come as a surprise that the first on the list is the one which inspired the title to this series by The Clash.

The Only Band That Matters are followed by Castlemilk's finest Cosmic Rough Riders with a song from their epic Enjoy the Melodic Sunshine album.

There won't always be a Mandatory Reggae song included although they might pop up here and there. The nearest we have come to a revolution is probably the riots  of the early 80s one of which took place in Handsworth, Birmingham. In 1978 Steel Pulse wrote Handsworth Revolution which highlights some of the precursors of what was to follow.

The revolution will continue next Friday

The Clash - Revolution Rock

Cosmic Rough Riders - Revolution (In the Summertime)

Steel Pulse - Handsworth Revolution


7 comments:

  1. Excellent idea for a series CC. Let me know if you need any assistance on the Mandatory Reggae front, I have a few that might fit the bill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will do - I've got one or two.Maybe together we have enough to include one every week?

      Delete
  2. Brilliant idea. Have a wee check of your inbox.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. What JC. I expect to see Leatherface's version of Talkin' Bout A Revolution and Soaceman 3's garage rock call to arms 'Revolution' on these pages very soon or I shall demand my money back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry that should read what JC said and it was me SWC that said it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least one of those will feature at some stage SWC

      Delete
  5. Good idea for a series. Lots of revolutions in my folders.

    ReplyDelete