Search This Blog

Saturday 7 January 2023

Townes Covered - White Freight Liner Blues

 


It looks as though we are back to Townes Covered. I know that it is still hard to remember what day it is although the poor sods who have had to return to work will not be happy.

If you were one of the few who visited here on 23rd December you will be aware that Townes beat Tyler Key by 3 votes to one.I'm putting the low score down to the Christmas period rather than apathy

That makes the overall score Townes 9  The Rest 1. You will be glad to know (I know I am!) that we are approaching the end. This week could be the final week. It started out well but has become a bit of a slog over the last few weeks. Perhaps first to 10 was a bit ambitious and maybe I should have stuck with first to 5. Something to think about for any further compare and contrast series

Today White Freight Liner Blues is the song of choice. Townes' version from Live at the Old Quarter, Houston, Texas versus Billy Joe Shaver.

Despite the annoying clapping and the occasional holler I am going for Townes's stripped back version as opposed to Billy Joe's bouncier version. Others may choose to differ

Such is the reverence for Townes in Glasgow that there used to be an annual tribute night at the Riverside Club where a number of artists did covers. I remember one year Dean Owens altering the words on this song slightly and singing - bad news from Glasgow, all of my friends are deid.

Townes Van Zandt - White Freight Liner Blues

Billy Joe Shaver -White Freight Liner Blues


6 comments:

  1. Can I be controversial and go for Billy on this occasion?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No problem Billy Joe nearly got my vote as well!

      Delete
  2. A low scoring week, and a draw at the moment, so my pick is going to change things. To be honest I didn't like either version of the song very much, but Townes one was the least objectionable. I've grown to really love his voice in the course of this series but on this recording there were too many vocal gymnastics for my liking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the less is more principle it's Townes for me or am I too late to contribute?

    ReplyDelete