Search This Blog

Saturday 14 January 2023

Townes Covered - Townes Covers

 


Well that became a bit of a slog towards the end. Thanks to the few of you who participated and the even fewer of you who lasted the course. By way of thanks here is a picture of Townes with a puppy.

The final instalment saw Townes beating Billy Joe Shaver with their respective versions of White Freightliner Blues by 4 votes to 1. By my reckoning that makes the final score Townes 10 the Rest 1. There were one or two draws along the way (I can't be bothered checking) which means that the great man retires undefeated.

I'm in two minds as to whether I will bother with another compare and contrast cover series. If I do it is likely that it will be a good few months down the line and it will probably feature the songs of Hank Williams and it will be the first to five.

The other day Rol posted a song from Townes' Road Songs album which effectively is an album of him covering songs by other artists.It is one of the seven TVZ albums that I have and as I commented at Rol's place it was somewhat frustrating that I couldn't plunder any songs from it for this series

So to finish with Townes for a while here are some of the songs covered by Townes on that album.I know that Rol posted his version of the Rolling Stones song Dead Flowers but it is so good that you are getting it again.

Finally, I assume that most of you are familiar with the concept of Imaginary Compilation Albums which pop up frequently over at JC's place. It struck me that the Townes originals  which featured in this series would make a pretty good ICA. I am not going to write a blurb as I've written far to much about them already but here is the music

Townes ICA

And here are the covers

Townes Van Zandt - Ira Hayes

Townes Van Zandt - Dead Flowers

Townes Van Zandt -Racing in the Streets


6 comments:

  1. I woke up in a bad mood. But a picture of Townes with a puppy. That is what Tim Berners-Lee had in mind when he Invented this Internet lark. Bad mood gone. Swc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy the compare and contrast series because it gives me a chance to really listen to artists I might not otherwise have got to know that well. I feel as if I know Townes well now and would recognise his voice anywhere. It might not have been your favourite series but thanks for hosting it anyway. I know where your allegiances lie, but it might be fun to compare and contrast some covers recorded by mainstream pop acts. My favourite new discovery last year was Fool on the Hill by Sergio Mendes. There will be plenty of Beatles covers better than the original I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Something to think about.I'm not big on the Beatles.Rolling Stones maybe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any excuse to feature Susan Boyle with Wild Horses!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oof - might have to give that one a miss. The Saturdays version a big yes though.

      Delete