Search This Blog

Monday 7 September 2020

River Deep or Mountain High 2

 


On a farm somewhere in the middle of Potugal a ginger Scotsman will be howling at the moon BIGLY.

Unfortunately for George although The Mountain by Steve Earle and the Del McCoury Band started off promisingly in ended up being trounced by 6 votes to 2 by Bruce Springsteen and The River. Just think George even if you heeded President Orange and voted both postally and physically you still wouldn't have won.

So an early lead for River.

As many of you know Steve Earle's son Justin Townes Earle sadly passed away last month at the age of 38. Very sad news and sympathy is extended to the Earle family. Justin's most famous , and probably best song, was Harlem River Blues the title track of his third album released in 2010 on Bloodshot.

Father Mountain is in my opinion easily the best song on Years to Burn the 2019 album by Calexico anf Iron &Wine on the Sub Pop label

Two great songs from two great labels.

Do I love you, my oh my

River Deep or Mountain High?


Justin Townes Earle - Harlem River Blues

Calexico and Iron & Wine - Father Mountain




12 comments:

  1. Just as the Orange Clown will do, I refuse to accept defeat by a democratic vote, so Steve Earle wins.
    And I cast my two votes for Calexico-Iron&Wine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Calexico and Iron & Wine for me please

    ReplyDelete
  3. Harlem River Blues gets my vote - more upbeat than the Calexico song.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tough one as like both but a very different sound - If you're in a jaunty buoyant mood it would be Justin but love the more melancholy Calexico too. Think I'll go for the latter for my vote but sad to hear about the loss of Justin. RIP.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Blimey, as I'm usually the last in these votes I've got what seems in effect to be the decisive vote - unless you've got some postal votes up your sleeve. I'd decided on Calexico well before I'd seen the other comments so that's where my cross is going this week.

    ReplyDelete