Search This Blog

Thursday 17 September 2020

Green

 


2020 Charity Shop Purchase 35  - R. E.M. -  Green

I've got a good few R.E.M. albums on the shelves  with pretty much everything from 1991's Out of Time through  to 2004's Around the Sun. Anything after 1996's New Adventures in Hi-Fi is pretty easy to pick up in a charity shop given the diminution in quality.

Those from the 80's are much harder to obtain with Reckoning  and vinyl copies of Dead Letter Office and the IRS Best Of being the only one's tracked down so far.

So I was pretty pleased to pick up a couple of the earlier ones in my recent haul. From 1998 Green is the first of their albums on Warner Brothers and pretty much the last before they achieved mainstream success becoming one of the biggest bands on the planet for a few years. These replace old cassettes long lost to landfill.

This post is pretty much just me boasting about a a terrific purchase. For a more in-depth analysis of all things R.E.M can I refer you to JC's Singular Adventures of R.E.M. complete with expert contributions from the Robster

R.E.M. - Pop Song 89

R.E.M. - World Leader Pretend

R.E.M. - Orange Crush


3 comments:

  1. Good find. There's a case to be made, I think, for this being their finest album.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 'diminution in quality' Oh yes - Wonderfully (and kindly) put. Orange Crush is a great track. I'd heard of them before this but first time I saw them I think was when they were performing this on TOTP. Started picking up their earlier albums second hand after that - this was still in the days of vinyl, for me anyway.

    ReplyDelete