Search This Blog

Thursday 10 September 2020

London 0 Hull 4


 

I was stuck for something to feature today when Flag Day popped up on the i-pod over tea.

"You know something" I said to Mrs CC "I'm not sure that I've ever featured The Housemartins on the old blog"

After squaring up (I'm well trained) I checked and sure enough I hadn't. Time then to right that wrong.

So here are the first 3 singles from their debut album the wonderfully named London 0 Hull 4 from 1986 on the equally wonderful Go! Discs label. Cue loud cheers from the provinces.

Modestly Paul Heaton had said that they were the 4th best band in Hull after Red Guitars, Everything  but the Girl and the Gargoyles. He was also interested in Christianity and Marxism leading to the message Take Jesus - Take Marx - Take Hope on the back cover of the album

Take that London.

The Housemartins - Flag Day

The Housemartins - Sheep

The Housemartins - Happy Hour




12 comments:

  1. Hmm, Happy Hour was on my list for Side One Track One's.

    A great debut and the follow-up was not too shabby to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. London 0 Hull 4 was rehashed by the Hull Daily Mail in October 2008 on the back of Hull City, inexplicably, defeating Fulham, Spurs, Arsenal and West Ham in the first few weeks of our maiden Premier League campaign. They would have been missing a trick if they hadn't used it as a headline.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheep - a song so good, you posted it twice?

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my favorite albums from the '80s, and I think it has aged well. I still play it all the time. Atheism is a major tenet of Marxism, but that contradiction doesn't take away from this gorgeous pop album.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great debut release. Had a listen to the album earler today after seeing this, still sounds really good.

    ReplyDelete