Search This Blog

Thursday 23 April 2015

Emmylou and Mark


All The Roadrunning is a 2006 album by Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris which at the time completely passed me by despite it reaching number one in Denmark, Norway and Switzerland.
Apparently there had been a long term collaboration between the pair with the songs being recorded over a seven year period.
The majority of the songs are from the pen of Mr Knopfler with Emmylou only contributing two, the featured Belle Starr and Love and Happiness which she wrote with Kimmie Rhodes.

Perhaps one of the reasons it passed me by is that I have never been a particular fan of Dire Straits with the exception of Sultans of Swing which is a terrific song.
A few years ago I was working in a psychiatric hospital and we had a ward meeting with the patients to discuss some proposed changes. When we invited comments from the floor the first question  directed to my colleague was "Do you like Dire Straits?" Afterwards she confessed to being somewhat relieved in that it was a question she was able to answer.

Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris - Beyond My Wildest Dreams

Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris - Belle Starr

7 comments:

  1. I have a lot of respect for Mark Knopfler, though I've never been a particular fan of the music he makes. Emmylou, however, could sing the phone book, even with Knopfler, and I've give it a listen. (Both these links take us to 'Beyond My Wildest Dreams').

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry CC can't abide Knopfler, we was second only to Thatcher on my execution list come the revolution back in the 80s for crimes against music, head wear and helping cds get a hold with that Brothers in Arms album. With Thatcher gone technically he is now number one but I would rather just ignore him. Emmylou on the other hand I love but am scared to listen to this in case I end up liking Dire Straits to which my 18 yr old self would have something to say.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm somewhere in the middle between you and The Swede on this one but probably veering in your direction.
      Fanny Alexander is currently top of my hit list - hopefully he will be signing on two weeks tomorrow

      Delete
    2. I'm fairly confident that this will be the most controversial one in this series

      Delete
  3. Hopefully there will be quite a few numpties signing on in a couple of weeks. Top of my list are Jim Murphy and the Douglas Alexander. I'm with Drew on this one, although he is not quite as execution worthy as Mark King. Emmylou can do no wrong in my eyes, voice of an angel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fanny Alexander is a cunt, disguised as a sheep. Not to be trusted at all and probably has Dire Straits and Chris De Burgh albums in his collection but they will be on tape.

    Scott, Mark King was also on the list but a wee bit below the duran durans and spandau ballets. who I hoped could be rounded up, put in a room and disposed of with a grenade. I did put a lot of thought into this back in the day and then I found e

    ReplyDelete