Search This Blog

Tuesday 25 October 2022

What Did You Expect From The Vaccines?

 


 2022 Charity Shop Purchases #61 - The Vaccines - What Do You Expect From the Vaccines?

The answer to the question posed in the post title was that I wasn't entirely sure.

I had obviously heard the name and knew that they are a pretty popular band. However I could not have told you the name of any of their songs or albums something which is not uncommon for me  for most "popular" records released this millennium.

I thought that this was a fairly recent album so I was pretty surprised to find out that it was released as far back as 2001 and that they have released another four albums since. Most of this will not come as a surprise to the few long suffering souls who persist in reading this blog.

It turns out that despite some initial trepidation it is actually a pretty good album.Others also clearly thought so as it was the best selling debut album of 2011.

Wiki make comparisons to the Ramones, the Jesus & Mary Chain and the Strokes. I can see where they are coming from with the Strokes but I'm not too sure about the other two

Not everyone is impressed with Allmusic giving it 2/5 and the Guardian 3/5. No 5s but Mojo, Q ,Uncut and the Daily Telegraph that cultural icon give it 4/5.

I'll go with the Guardian rather than the Telegraph.

The final Kingussie contribution

The Vaccines - A Lack of Understanding

The Vaccines - Nørgaard

5 comments:

  1. On the basis of these two tracks I would agree with Allmusic. I'm surprised you quite like it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked a couple of later Vaccines songs but hadn't heard these - not bad, but perhaps not very memorable either. Mind you I imagine they had a lot of accidental hits on their name in the last 2 years!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Allmusic review was a jab. I'll get me coat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll second Rol's comment. It's also frightening that it's now more than 20 years ago since its release.

    ReplyDelete