Search This Blog

Friday 14 October 2022

Vintage Country Vinyl - Bobby Bare

 


2022 Charity Shop Purchases #54 - Bobby Bare

A two for one for you today with a 2022 Charity Shop Purchase AND the return of Vintage Country Vinyl.

The last vinyl album I bought by Bobby Bare sadly snapped in half as I was gently manipulating it in an effort to alleviate a slight warp before I had the chance to play it.
Thankfully this was not the case with As Is, a 1981 album on Columbia, which I picked up for a pound in the Kingussie Community Bookshop.

The album was produced by Rodney Crowell and features covers of songs by Willie Nelson, Guy Clark and Townes Van Zandt amongst others .Summer Wages, a song by Canadian singer songwriter Ian Tyson is probably the pick of the bunch 
On the back cover of the album Bobby effortlessly makes double denim look cool.

I cant find out much more about this album other than on the basis of 9 User ratings AllMusic gives it a rating of 4.5/5. I'm not sure that I would go that high but it is well worth a pound.

Bobby Bare -New Cut Road

Bobby Bare - Summer Wages



6 comments:

  1. I love Bobby Bare. He was a big favourite of my dear departed Dad and we had several of his albums in the house when I was growing up. I acquired this one later in life. You have picked the best two tracks (as one would expect from a man with your impeccable taste).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you sir
    Also got one of him with Skeeter Davies

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Does it have "Your Husband, My Wife" on it?

      Delete
    2. No but they it does have A Dear John Letter

      Delete
  3. Ah yes the old 'snapped in half as I was gently manipulating it in an effort to alleviate a slight warp' excuse again. I've became a bit of a Bobby Bare convert recently although most of his songs seem to be written by others. It didn't do Elvis any harm mind!

    ReplyDelete