Search This Blog

Friday 28 October 2022

Remember Me

 



 2022 Charity Shop Purchases #64 - Otis Redding - Remember Me

I am at a loss to understand why anyone would hand an Otis Redding CD into a charity shop or indeed anything from the Stax label for that matter. Their loss, my gain.

Remember Me is from 1990 so obviously a posthumous album...The fairly detailed booklet that accompanies the CD tells me that it is made up of a mix of fully developed tracks almost ready for issue,outtakes of released records,and ideas still waiting to be worked up into final form.The unreleased masters were assembled from the Stax/Volt library of tapes purchased by Fantasy Records in 1977.

Given the proximity to Halloween I thought it fitting to feature the opening track Trick or Treat. Most of the other 18 tracks would have been equally worthy.
For the second song I've gone for Take 1 of Try a Little Tenderness.Most other artists would kill to record something of such quality but obviously it wasn't quite good enough for Otis or Stax. It took another two takes before they were satisfied.

Tremendous stuff



5 comments:

  1. Tremendous indeed. I bought this on its release, I don't think there's a bad track on it

    ReplyDelete
  2. I well remember being blown away by the quality of these unheard tracks when the album was released.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic stuff. Don't know if you've ever watched the film The Commitments but lots of Otis in it - Try a Little Tenderness made me think of it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "I am at a loss to understand why anyone would hand an Otis Redding CD into a charity shop or indeed anything from the Stax label for that matter. Their loss, my gain."

    I laughed out loud at that. Those final four words could be the tagline for this wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete