Search This Blog

Monday 24 October 2022

The Story

 


 2022 Charity Shop Purchases #60 - Brandi Carlile - The Story

A second trip to the Kingussie Community Bookshop led to a couple more purchases.

I was familiar with the name Brandi Carlile but not the music. I've always assumed that she was pretty much mainstream country and my first listen to The Story, her second album from 2007 on Columbia, seemed to confirm that.
My initial impression was that it was pleasantly nice if slightly bland. However, after a couple of listens I have changed my mind somewhat. It is a definite grower with one or two belters on it

The album is produced by one of the Americana go to producers T-Bone Burnett. More recently Brandi has been a member of the supergroup The Highwomen alongside Natalia Hemby, Maren Morris and Amanda Shires

The album was subsequently re-recorded as Cover Stories in 2017 to raise funds for War Child UK and featiring the likes of Dolly Parton, Kris Kristofferson, Margo Price and Pearl Jam.

For the two songs I have chosen today Josephine was covered by Anderson East with the Indigo Girls covering Cannonball which is fitting as they provide backing vocals on the original version.



3 comments:

  1. She's a huge fan of Joni Mitchell. So much so she is going to open for her at a show here in Washington next year. Respect.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup
      She is in that Newport Folk Festival video that the Swede posted recently with Joni

      Delete
  2. If it hadn't been for a mate including a track on a female singer/songwriter comp he put together for me in 2014 I would never have known about Brandi Carlile. I've grown to love that track and so I'm rather surprised that you didn't include Late Morning Lullaby in your post here.Cannonball is a good track too and I've nabbed it (dues paid) to play alongside Cannonball by The Breeders!

    ReplyDelete