Search This Blog

Wednesday 19 October 2022

Sounding a Mosaic

 


 2022 Charity Shop Purchases #58 - Bedouin Soundclash

Like many of my Blogging chums I am a fan of North African music and in particular the stuff released by the label Sahel Sounds  which is usually available on a name your price basis on Bandcamp Fridays

Therefore I was quite excited to see the words Bedouin Soundclash on the cover of a CD in the Highland Hospice charity shop in Granton-on- Spey. However a quick internet check informed me that they were not North African at all but Canadian.

The information from Wiki read Bedouin Soundclash is a Canadian band based in Toronto and consisting of vocalist and guitarist Jay Malinowski, bass player Eon Sinclair and drummer Chuck Treece. Their sound has been described as a combination of reggae and ska. Bedouin Soundclash was formed in 2001, and has released five studio albums, most recently in 2019.

New to me but surely worth a punt for 50p. It turns out that Sounding a Mosaic was their second album from 2004 released on the Stomp label.

After an initial listen I'm not entirely convinced. It is pleasant enough but not startling. Also the singer's voice reminds me of someone but I can't put my finger on. I've got a nasty feeling that it is someone that I dislike.Someone put me out my misery please!

The jury is out but it is not being jettisoned just yet.

Here are the two of the three singles from the album.

Bedouin Soundclash - When The Night Feels My Song

Bedouin Soundclash - Shelter

5 comments:

  1. Mick Hucknall? (I've not played the track yet, though)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I fell for it as well when I saw their album "Street Gospels" going cheap. Like you, thought it was OK but nothing special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having listened to both tracks, is it Stink?

    ReplyDelete