Search This Blog

Monday 4 April 2016

Bluegrass Monday #4


Four weeks in and we pay homage to the man attributed as creating Bluegrass mandolinist Mr Bill Monroe.

The genre takes his name from his band The Blue Grass Boys who in turn take their name from their home state of Kentucky.
From 1946 to 1948 Monroe led what became known as the classic bluegrass band - fiddler Chubby Wise, bassist Howard Watts, guitarist/vocalist Lester Flatt and banjoist Earl Scruggs.
You may recognize the latter two names who may well feature again later in this series.
You will also be familiar with the second song which was a big hit for a certain Elvis Presley and which has been covered by a myriad of others.
Taken from an excellent compilation Columbia Country Classics - The Golden Age Volume 1

More Bluegrass next Monday

Bill Monroe & his Bluegrass Boys - Molly and Tenbrooks

Bill Monroe & his Bluegrass Boys - Blue Moon of Kentucky

5 comments:

  1. Glad you enjoyed the tunes, CC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. More to the point Marie I hope you and other readers/listeners enjoyed them to

      Delete
  2. Sorry, CC. I was referring to the shuffle tunes on my own blog today. I thought I was responding to a comment from you on mine, but as I was juggling three things at once I got "C" mixed up with "CC." Duh!

    As to your post, they're two Of Bill Monroe's best, so how could anyone not enjoy them!

    ;-)


    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely fabulous tunes CC.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have this compilation too. A real favorite in this house.

    ReplyDelete