Search This Blog

Friday 28 July 2023

Indie City 2

 


As promised/threatened on last Friday's Indie City 1 post I have returned with Indie City 2. It too was released on cassette in 1988.I can't remember if they were released together or a few months apart. Perhaps someone can enlighten me.

The tracklist is much more international than the first one  which I think only had two non- UK acts namely Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds and Sonic Youth. If I am correct this one has 4 US acts together with one Irish and one Australian bands.

By and large it is of the same standard as the first one although the And the Native Hipsters song really irritates me and I am not that keen on the Robert Wyatt number. Also I am not particularly fond of any band who have the word Cult in there title. That still leaves me plenty to choose from.

Rowche Rumble by The Fall was always going to feature and I couldn't ignore Human Fly or Radio Free Europe. I would be interesting to hear your favourites  and in particular Brian's as he appears to be keeping his powder try.

It has been a joy to revisit these two albums after a far too long absence.

The Fall - Rowche Rumble

The Cramps - Human Fly

R.E.M. - Radio Free Europe


4 comments:

  1. A pretty strong tracklist there, though I'd probably stop the tape just before the end due to my irrational hatred of a band that is held in high esteem by large parts of the blogosphere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tough choice but I'll go for A3 (which was by Pogue Mahone not The Pogues whoever they are). When it came out I had to travel down to London to buy it at Rough Trade because it wasn't available where I was.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Second volume just about as good as the first. Impressive. - Brian

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nope, I was never much of a Culture Club fan either.........You couldn't possibly mean that lot from Bradford who produced one of the greatest goth rock tracks of all time?

    ReplyDelete