Search This Blog

Friday 21 July 2023

Indie City 1

 



Indie City 1 was a limited issue cassette compilation issued by the NME in 1988. It contained 20 tracks from an interesting range of bands as you can see from the track list here .  As you would expect there are a number of the usual suspects together with a couple of curve balls such as Motorhead.

As I recall you had to send away for it with something as outdated as a cheque or a postal order . I can't remember how much it cost .A couple of quid I suspect. My copy has gone the way of all cassettes.

However, someone very kindly posted all the tracks from it and the imaginatively named Indie City 2 and which I downloaded  and burnt onto two CDRs.  Cassettes, CDRs this is a bit like a history lesson.

Plenty of great songs to chose from and share today. It would be churlish not to include Motorhead (Track A6). To accompany Lemmy & Co I've gone with Candy Skin by Edinburgh's The Fire Engines (Track A 8 ) and from the other side Lean on Me from The Redskins (Track B6).
I could have featured any of them as there is not a duff track on the album.

Indie City 2 next Friday.




8 comments:

  1. I love these old compilations, you always find forgotten gems on them, and they're real artifacts of their time. Oh how I long for the days of cheques and postal orders too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my humble opinion, this is a very well put together mix. I will be patient and not look at the next volume until you post it. - Brian

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'Candy Skin' is one of my favourite singles of all time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fire engines and the reskins - both great tracks - I don't think either band bettered them

    ReplyDelete
  5. I used to be partial to bands who made a racket and a din but I never bothered myself with Motorhead. The Fire Engines and The Redskins on the other hand were great. Both those tracks made Peel's Festive 50 Lean On Me #30 in '83 and Candy Skin #58 in '81. Pre 1983 the Festive 50 had more than 50 songs in its chart!

    ReplyDelete