Search This Blog

Sunday 30 July 2023

An A to Z of American Cities - O

 


This week is very much a team effort.

I only had one song in mind which was Oil City Girl by Kevin Gordon. Initially I thought it was a reference to Houston, Texas but looking at the lyrics I suspect that it  may refer to Oil City, Louisiana which has a population  now of just 876. There is also an Oil City in Pennsylvania which is massive by comparison with a population of 9608.

It's time for the first of my hauners. As you would expect Rol came up with a number of suggestions in last Sunday's comments box. I've gone for Oakland Skyline  by Austin Lucas who is a new name for me but who apparently is an American Indie artist best known for his own blend of folk punk. Oakland, as I'm sure most of you are aware, is a city in California with a population of over 440K making it the 8th  largest city in that state.

Omaha is the largest city in the state of Nebraska on the Missouri river with a population of  486K. Omaha (Sharpless) is a song by the Chickasaw Mudd Puppies and is one from a list of songs suggested by Jez. Sorry Jez much as I would have liked to I couldn't shoe horn Tony Orlando in this week.

Ernie kindly passed on half a dozen suggestions which I have just noticed includes the Austin Lucas number. I have opted for Leaving Odessa by The DeSoto Caucus who as you will all know are a Danish band that started as an offspring to Giant Sand.. Not to be confused with the city of Odessa in Ukraine. Is this the one you were thinking of SWC?

Last, but certainly not least, John came up with a couple of Orange suggestions given that there is an Orange City in Volusia County, Florida which has a population of 10,599. I've gone for Prince Buster and Orange Street.

Thanks everyone. I think I have P covered but any suggestions are welcomed. Get your thinking caps on for Q!

Kevin Gordon - Oil City Girl

Austin Lucas - Oakland Skyline

Chickasaw Mudd Puppies - Omaha (Sharpless)

DeSoto Caucus - Leaving Odessa

Prince Buster - Orange Street

8 comments:

  1. Thanks CC. I'll take the credit for Odessa but Austin Lucas is nothing to do with me.

    I trust you will be including Guy Mitchell's classic 'There's aPawn Shop on the Corner in Pittsburgh Pennysylvania' next week

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have another one in mind for Pittsburgh

      Delete
    2. I'm in Pittsburgh and it's raining, by the Vibes. Of course.

      Delete
    3. If this flagrant disregard for your customers continues I may have to boycott this series temporarily and not share with you any of the many dozens of songs I have about American cities beginning with Q.

      Delete
  2. Whatever you have in mind for Pittsburgh, I doubt it'll have a better title than the two suggested above.

    If Phoenix isn't included next week, I'm joining Ernie's boycott.

    I have songs for Pensacola, Palo Alto, Portland, Providence and Pawtucket. The last one is buy a bloke who I've just discovered online who goes by the moniker: The Guy Who Sings About Cities & Towns. If you're ever stuck, I'd recommend him as a fallback.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So far I have one Q, but I'll keep looking.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Quincy is a city (or town) in Massachusetts, but I'm not aware of any songs about it. Ditto for Quantico, Virginia. Queens is one of New York's five boroughs, and has a larger population than most of the cities in this series. It's home to everyone from Paul Simon to the Ramones to Run-DMC. I'm sure someone has written a song about it, or one of its neighborhoods like Astoria, Forest Hills, or Jamaica. If you're willing to include nicknames, Cincinnati is the Queen City - so you can include Dwight Yoakam's South of Cincinnati.
    --Marc

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marc
      There is some Italian techno track called Quantico by an Italian band called Kwartz which I can't bring myself to listen to!

      Delete