Search This Blog

Tuesday 18 July 2023

Greendale

 


I've had a burn of Greendale the 25th studio album by Neil Young pretty much since it came out in 2003.I haven't really paid it very much attention recently but I dug it out from the shelves when drafting An A-Z of American Cikties - G to consider whether it contained a song that could
 be included in that series.

Alas, the answer was no as there is no song on the album called  or featuring the word Greendale.There is a Greendale in Winsconsin but it is classified as a village. Anyway it turns out that Greendale is a 10 track rock opera set in a fictional California town and based on the saga of the Green family and is essentially a exploration of small town America.

Now whereas that all sounds a wee bit pompous don't worry as the songs stand up in their own right. It helps that Neil is joined by Crazy Horse for the first time since 1996's Broken Arrow. You can instantly recognise that unique Crazy Horse sound. In November 2020 a live album of the songs from Greendale was released with the title Return to Greendale.

In the unlikely event that I ever saw it in a charity shop then I would definately upgrade to CD. Then again I would pick up any of his albums that I don't have if I saw them.

I'm throwing in a Devil song even although it is only Tuesday! The world has clearly gone mad.

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Devil's Sidewalk

Neil Young & Crazy Horse - Bandit

1 comment:

  1. Neil Young is another of those artists who I rarely see in charity shops.

    ReplyDelete