Search This Blog

Friday 10 February 2023

The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

 


I'm a bit pushed for time this week but fortunately much of the heavy lifting has already been done by JC and Ernie

In last week's Revolutionary Spirit post JC featured The Last Poets with When The Revolution Comes  which I had not heard before and pointed out it was a close cousin to Gil Scott-Heron's The Revolution will not be Televised. Let's face it , it was always going to feature. Also, can I be the first Scottish blogger not to mention that Gil's father briefly played for Celtic?

Ernie is still smarting over a Mandatory Reggae version not featuring last week. To make him feel better here is Keith Hudson with Fight Your Revolution the first in the folder of Reggae Revolutionaries which he kindly sent me.

When JC played Children of the Revolution by Kirsty MacColl he referenced the more famous song of the same name by T-Rex. It is not on my hard drive and I was about to burn it until I noticed a cover by the Violent Femmes

The revolution has now been put on hold to next Friday

Gil Scott Heron - The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

Keith Hudson - Fight Your Revolution

Violent Femmes - Children of the Revolution


* judging by this week's post views the revolution has well and truly stalled!

4 comments:

  1. Consider me not smart. Most people do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Revolution 'stalled' is sadly so true. What's become of us as a nation when so much of what is going on is so corrupt, screwed up and demonstrably wrong and yet...... (I ranted here for several paragraphs then reflected that your humble music blog wasn't the right forum and deleted it all!) The GSH track is of course great and Violent Femmes cover was new to me. Keep going with your revolution theme though - gotta keep the flame burning somehow

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great tunes all, CC. Very familiar with GSH and Keith Hudson but don’t think I’d heard The Violent Femmes cover before.

    I’ve had an idea for a guest contribution. You won’t be at all surprised when you see it but I’ll aim to send/inflict it on you next week.

    ReplyDelete