Search This Blog

Saturday 18 February 2023

Charity Vinyl -Labour of Lust

 


2023 Charity Shop Purchases #15 - Nick Lowe - Labour of Lust

Have any of you noticed the latest annoying habit in charity shops? I'm talking about those shops which think it is a good idea to hang vinyl albums on skirt hangers like this

Now that wouldn't really bother me if it was the usual rubbish you normally get on vinyl but when it is Labour of Lust by Nick Lowe it is enough for me to break out in a cold sweat. Fortunately for me  there does not appear to be any lasting damage.
Indeed the cover, the inner sleeve and the vinyl are all in remarkably good condition considering that the album was released in 1979 on the Radar label

It was recorded similtaneously with Dave Edmunds' Repeat When Necessary which also graces the shelves. In addition to Lowe on bass  and Edmunds on guitar the band included the other two members of Rockpile namely Billy Bremner (guitar) and Terry Williams (drums)

Bought for a very reasonable 3 pounds in the British Heart Foundation in St Andrews it joins its 1978 predecessor  Jesus of Cool in the L section. A good find.





10 comments:

  1. He hasn't made a bad album; even his iffy collaboration with Little Village is not without a certain charm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The problem is, the people who work in charity shops aren't music fans. Half of them don't even know the difference between CDs and DVDs. The rest think Nick Lowe was in Crossroads.

    And I say that as someone who used to work in a charity shop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Argh! The sacrilege of an album on a skirt hanger has me wincing - I had no idea. Will keep an eye out for that - in the same realm as the permanent glue price stickers which take half the cover off with them when you try to carefully peel them off.
    Have recently re-evaluated Nick Lowe too - although I've always admired his marvellous hair I hadn't really taken in his songs with the same appreciation until recently. Cool geezer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His hair has remained impreesive during the years. Unlike mine,sadly!

      Delete
    2. As unimpressive as my spelling!

      Delete
    3. I just thought it was your lovely Glaswegian accent!

      Delete
    4. We're all jealous of Nick Lowe's hair, I think you would agree C.

      Delete
  4. Nick Lowe was in Crossroads and Billy Bremner played football at the weekends!

    I've never seen that, albums on skirt hangers. The skirts regularly fall off them and they are usually quite thick compared to an album - I can see why you come out in a cold sweat CC.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not familiar with the Crossroads connection but reference the football connection in a previous post on Rockpile

      Delete
  5. Cruel To Be Kind so simple yet.......so classic. I'm still to experience albums clipped to skirt hangers in Sheffield's charity shops but I'll lodge a complaint on your behalf when/if I do

    ReplyDelete