Search This Blog

Wednesday 15 February 2023

Kala

 


2023 Charity Shop Purchases #13 - M.I.A. - Kala

Earlier this month I featured Arular the debut album by rapper M.I.A. which I picked up in a Pitlochry charity shop. I actually came away with two by her as I also bagged Kala  her second album from 2007 and also on the XL-Interscope label. I felt it better to have a slight gap rather than post them back to back

Whereas I enjoyed Arular I found this one slightly more accessable.Like it's predecessor it was critically acclaimed upon release scoring 87/100 on the Metacritic aggregator.
The title Arular was a reference to her father, Kala is named after her mother.
This album includes the song Paper Planes  which was probably the only one of her songs that I was previously familiar with. It received a Grammy nomination and subsequently featured as part of the soundtrack to the film Slumdog Millionaire .Much more importantly than that it samples Straight to Hell by The Clash.

Not only that the opening track Bamboo Banga samples Roadrunner by Jonathan Richman and the Modern Lovers




1 comment: