Search This Blog

Monday 13 February 2023

From Poland to Pumas - A Guest Post

 

George writes

We have a Netflix account, have done for maybe a year. We finally got fed up with the TV options supplied via our internet provider, especially when they took down CBS Reality, thus depriving me of Judge Judy. I am not jesting. And one of the first things we watched was Squid Game, which led us to the world of South Korean tv shows, and let me tell you this, we are now Big Fans: My Name, Stranger, Crash Landing On You, The Good Detective, Hometown Cha-cha-cha, Hello Me, Our Blues……. that one about the traumatised artist, a rich family, and a hospital in Ireland, that we got bored with….we watch one episode of something Korean almost every night. And now, of course, we are experts on South Korean culture and society, albeit gained by TV shows made in the last 8 or so years.



But it’s not all Korean tv and putting on our amusing Korean accents whilst watching (I think that’s a bit racist, though), oh no - after trying a few UK and US programmes and getting fed up quickly, we’ve seen Spanish dramas, Austrian dramas (set around a funeral home) a German comedy (based in a funeral home), Jo is watching a Turkish drama (not featuring undertakers as far as I know), and we’ve just finished watching Gang Zielonej Rekawiczki, or the Green Glove Gang to you non-Polish speakers out there. Some of the soundtrack music has been quite good in that last show, and the last episode in the series featured a modern soul song that is the absolute bifters. Thanks to the Tunefind website I found out who it was and acquired the album. I’d never heard of this lot, but they might be famous in some circles. So put your listening ears for this gem of a song by the Black Pumas:


Black Pumas - Colors


Modern soul, with a retro-gospel feel.


CC writes

Thanks for this George. A little bit of culture.

I was suitably intrigued enough with the description in your last line to "ahem" acquire a copy of their eponymous, and to date only album from 2019 on ATO and to treat you all to another track. It is maybe just a wee bit too smooth and polished for me when compared to yesterday's offerings


Black Pumas - Oct 33

6 comments:

  1. Its perfectly pleasant, but I am sure I won't be the only one lured in by the expectation of there being some Polish music to listen to. So a bit disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got another version of the track, and it's even better than the one I posted. But I'm not going to provide a link for it.

      Delete
    2. he's throwing a strop

      Delete
  2. Ignore Ernie - I'm not disappointed but then I knew what not to expect.

    Squid Games was... hard to come up with an adjective actually as it made for disturbing viewing at times but compulsive viewing. Have you seen the film Parasite George? South Korean but it won a fair few Oscars a few years back and totally get why.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that one Alyson and enjoyed it. A wee bit too violent for Mrs CC!

      Delete