Search This Blog

Thursday 23 February 2023

Caught in the Middle

 


Caught in the Middle is a CD single from everyone's favourite Welsh DJ and National Treasure  Cerys Matthews released in 2003 on the Blanco Y Negro label, 20 years ago - gosh.

I don't appear to have it on the shelves so it looks as though I have just acquired it digitally somewhere, somehow along the way. I do however have the title track on her debut solo album Cockahoop which was a charity shop acquisition back in 2018

It is from the days when CD singles were often, as a marketing ploy, released as CD 1 and CD 2 with both included the lead song with usually two separate songs accompanying it on each disc.

For the record the one I have is CD 1 with the other two tracks being Banjo Moon  and  Chilli Winds. It was also released as Caught in the Middle (The Three Trees Sessions) with the other songs being Il Est Midi and Four Cotton Dresses. There is also a Promotional copy out there with only  the title track.

These days the marketing trends seem to be different coloured vinyls and boxsets to tempt you to part with your hard earned cash

 

Cerys Matthews - Caught in the Middle

Cerys Matthews - Banjo Moon

Cerys Matthews - Chilli Wind

3 comments:

  1. I like a nice boxset, but there are some huge gaps in the market there. I'm not sure the CD renaissance has fully taken hold yet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this, I especially like Caught in the Middle. What a distinctive voice she has.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Always one to bear a grudge.....I was so disappointed when Cerys accepted that MBE that I blanked her from then on - almost felt like a a personal insult - my loss no doubt but there we are. Loved her voice in the Catatonia days. Had a similar reaction to Grayson Perry's knighthood. Grayson, just what were you thinking? Every man/woman has their price.

    ReplyDelete