Search This Blog

Tuesday 28 February 2023

The Debra Haul - Outlaws & Dreamers

 


2023 Charity Shop Purchases #21 - Dick Gaughan -Outlaws & Dreamers

A week ago today we visited the five charity shops at Clarkston Toll. I came away with nothing. I was briefly tempted in Oxfam by a JD McPherson CD but felt that £2.99 was much too steep particularly when I rarely listen to the one I already have.

Later in the day we were in the Shawlands Arcade and popped into Debra for a potter. It primarily deals with second hand furniture and we have bought a few items there including the office chair I am sitting on whilst typing this.

While Mrs CC looked at the furniture I graduated to the two small rows of CDs.In all my previous visits I have never seen anything worth picking up. To my surprise there were some good ones there and when I commented on this to Mick the manager he said that someone had just handed in a collection and that there were more in a bag on the stairs which I was welcome to look at.

There was a combination of 60's and 70's standards, folk and a smattering of Americana. I came away with 20 CDs! One of my biggest hauls ever. Oh, and I returned on the Friday for another 6! Plenty of material then for the next few weeks.

Let's start with the great Dick Gaughan with Outlaws & Dreamers an album from 2001 on the Greentrax label. As with many of Dick's album it is a mix of traditional Scottish folk songs with a few protest songs thrown in for good measure. Here's one of both.

Dick Gaughan - Dowie Dens o Yarrow

Dick Gaughan - What You Do With What You've Got

5 comments:

  1. TOPTASTIC spending there, and I hope there's smattering of inane Bulgarian prog. amongst the haul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crikey that was quite a haul. Have you ever bought that many in one go before?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe a job lot of Blues Collection CDs a few years ago

      Delete
  3. Excellent work. The local Debra shop is where I drop off all my unwanted relics... never really find that much there for myself though.

    ReplyDelete