Search This Blog

Tuesday 19 April 2022

Girls Go Power Pop!

 


I've just discovered an album that I downloaded and then forgot all about. I can't remember having played it before.
The album title is quite self explanatory.Released on the ever excellent Ace label in 2020  Girls Go Power Pop! was released with the following blurb

Nothing shakes some action like a snappy guitar-based pop song delivered with a powerful beat, boundless energy and joyous enthusiasm … especially when performed by girls!

25 tracks and I would say that I am probably only familiar with about half a dozen of the acts so quite an education.

I couldn't not feature the first track which is one of those that I actually know. Cherry Bomb by The Runaways sets a pretty high bar for the rest to follow.

Nikki & the Corvettes is a new name to me. A Detroit trio who were on the go between 1977 and 1981. They do a fine job on He's a Mover

My final choice today is another new to me one. Universal Honey are a Canadian Power Pop band fronted by vocalist Leslie Stanwyck. They have been on the go since 1992 and have released seven albums. Just Before Mary Goes is a song from their 1993 debut album Magic Basement.

Expect trip two sooner rather than later!

The Runaways -Cherry Bomb

Nikki & the Corvettes - He's a Mover

Universal Honey - Just Before Mary Goes


No comments:

Post a Comment