Search This Blog

Sunday 17 January 2016

Some Sunday Southern Soul


My Christmas present to myself was the Kent 3 CD Box set Back to the River - More Southern Soul Stories 1961-78.
A worthy companion to the previous box sets  Take Me to the River - A Southern Soul Story 1961-1977 and The Fame Studios Story 1961-1973 Home of the Muscle Shoals Sound both of which have been heavily featured on CCM.
Like an Islay malt or a fine Rioja I am  leisurely savouring this in small sips. You shouldn't rush the best things in life.

The plan is to play you a the initial tracks which have jumped out to me from the three discs following an initial listen over the next three weeks.
Some what logically we start with Disc 1 -Muscle Shoals - Memphis Redux. a second selection of music from Memphis and Muscle Shoals as featured on the two collections above
I have gone for two ladies starting with This Love Won't Run Out by Dee Dee Sharp. An Isaac Hayes and David Porter song on the Atco label recorded in American Studios in Memphis in 1967.
Dee Dee is followed by  Jeanie Greene with Sure as Sin a song written by her husband  Marlin and the great Eddie Hinton. Again on the Atco label but this time from 1969 and recorded at Quinvy Studios, Sheffield

Terrific stuff. Disc 2 next Sunday


Dee Dee Sharp - This Love Won't Run Out

Jeanie Greene - Sure as Sin

7 comments:

  1. Hmmm, I like the idea of self-gifting, CC. Will have to track these tracks down for a listen, as I haven't heard them before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That'll be the Dee Dee Sharp of the risque Mashed Potatoes and Gravy songs. Something to do with sex I think. Anyway, I thought that first song was good, but MAN ALIVE that second one is awesome

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is possibly in the top ten of all the songs you have posted. You are hereby forgiven for that abomination-sound-of-the-devil's-arsehole of a cover of Long Black Veil.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect I might well blot my copybook again sometime during the next few days

      Delete
  4. You treated yourself well, CC. This is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Jeanie Greene tune's fantastic!

    ReplyDelete