Search This Blog

Monday 23 October 2023

I Walked with You a Ways

 



Just over a year ago, on 14th October 2022 to be precise, Plains released their debut album I Walked with You a Ways on the Anti - label. I had been alerted to it when a track appeared on an Uncut compilation a couple of months previously so I was quick off the blocks to pick up a copy when it was released.

It is an album on the Country side of Alternative Country by Katie Crutchfield of Waxahatchee fame and Jess Williamson. They both contribute a number of songs and take turns as lead vocalist. I was familiar with Katie's work as Waxahatchee with a couple of her albums on the shelves. Jess Williamson was a new name to me.

Some further exploration was clearly required and I tracked down a couple of her solo albums Time Ain't Accidental and Sorceress. Both are worth having but if I had to chose one it would be Sorceress.

I Walked with You a Ways is obviously also well worth having. It has been critically well received with a Metacritic rating of 81/100..I have no information as to whether this is a one off project or whether they intend to collaborate further in the future. If it is a one off it is a pretty good legacy to leave.




4 comments:

  1. track 1 is very mainstream country, I thought. I did like track 2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My album of 2022. Wonderful stuff. They've said it was just a one-off, which is a huge shame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Track one is just a link to another blog page. This one https://charitychicmusic.blogspot.com/2022/12/sorceress.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not sure what happened there. Hopefully now sorted

    ReplyDelete