Search This Blog

Monday 16 October 2023

Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot

 


2023 Charity Shop Purchases #81 - Sparklehorse -Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot


Slim pickings from our second  holiday week in the Cairngorms I'm afraid. The charity shops of Kingussie (twice), Granton- on- Spey and Auchterarder yielded nothing. 

We did however have a modicum of success in one of the three charity shops in Aviemore. Mrs CC came away with three Jazz CDs - Coleman Hawkins, Gerry Mulligan and Fats Waller . I only landed one but it had the longest name and the best cover.

It seems that Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot the 1995 debut album by Sparklehorse from 1995 on Capitol Records had occupied the shelves of the Red Cross shop for the entire month of September before I liberated it. It joins Good Morning Spider (1998) and It's a Wonderful Life (2001) on the pop/Indie shelves,  When I included Sparklehorse as part of my seen at King Tuts series I expressed surprise that I had the latter even although I had posted about it three years earlier. Sometimes I think I have too many CDs

The critics were fairly positive about Vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot . Indeed on the sticker on the front of the jewel case NME gives it 9/10 saying that it is unconditionally recommended. Melody Maker settles for Bloody Essential.

If you like a slightly more distorted cousin of Mercury Rev and Grandaddy (and who doesn't'?) this one should be right up your street.


5 comments:

  1. "Sometimes I think I have too many CDs"??? No more of this heresy please

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with both the NME & Melody Maker. A fantastic album.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A nearly perfect album....swc..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this album as a whole but can also see that it's patchy in places! Aren't most albums? Homecoming Queen tho' is a wonderful track

    ReplyDelete