Search This Blog

Sunday 15 October 2023

Charles Rennie Mackintosh

 


I suspect that many of you are familiar with the work of the great Glasgow architect Charles Rennie Mackintosh

For years I have had a Mackintosh styled bookmark. I can't remember where or when I got it. It has gone astray many times over the years but despite my best efforts it keeps turning up again. I would be pretty gutted if I lost it.

All the above got me thinking whether I could do a post with a Charles, a Rennie and a Macintosh.

The Charles component proved  relatively easy as there were plenty to choose from. Ray Charles, Charlie Pride and Charlie Rich were all considered before I plumped for the Daptone artist Charles Bradley .I discovered him while watching a documentary called Soul of America and had purchased his album Victim of Love before the show was finished  Sadly the revival of his career was short lived as he died  from stomach cancer in September 2017 aged just 68.

The Rennie component proved slightly trickier. The only references I got when searching the hard drive were for Rennie Sparks from the Handsome Family. They will feature below but as a bonus I am throwing in Walk Away Renee. Different spelling but the same pronunciation.

Mackintosh proved to be even trickier. The best I could come up with was Lorraine McIntosh of Deacon Blue fame. There was a burn of an album called The Great Lakes which she performed with her husband Rickie Ross under the moniker McIntoshRoss. It has now been downgraded to a download to free up some space of the shelves.

Does anyone else have a bookmark that they want to write about?


Charles Bradley - Victim of Love

The Handsome Family - So Much Wine

The Left Banke - Walk Away Renee

McIntoshRoss - Jesus Nailed My Sins Upon the Tree

11 comments:

  1. I can see 'My Best Bookmarks' becoming a new long-running series.

    I found you a Mackintosh: https://youtu.be/YM2n-bxh2JM?si=dfBmN6XFyuQ-FFhc

    ReplyDelete
  2. My bookmark is a room card from a hotel I stayed in in Finland in 2009. Not sure how or why its lasted so long and it is a little tatty now but having stuck with it for so long I'd be disappointed to see it go now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a leather Glasgow University bookmark that my dad bought for me on his last trip home , like your MacIntosh one , it comes and goes but I always know that its around. Great blog by the way and Cheers from a Toronto follower !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for popping by. I was a Strathclyde Uni man myself!

      Delete
  4. That is inspired and inspiring, CC. Love the bookmark and the tunes. Of course I was then off to look through a pile of bookmarks, most of them freebies from bookshops or charities, but found a rather cool one that had come the Barney Bubbles Shop and given to us by a friend (advertising the Pink Fairies, since you ask!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a couple of favourite bookmarks, actually. Not sure what tunes would come out of them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm a serial bookmark collector. I make a point of buying one in every er....bookmark selling place I visit. I've well over a hundred now. The word for a collector of bookmarks apparently is a signopaginophile although I'll settle for a clutterer!

    ReplyDelete