Search This Blog

Wednesday 18 October 2023

Brothers, Sisters ....

 

   


New Midweek Series alert!

I have been pretty much devoid of ideas for new series' recently. However on the back of my recent Delmore Brothers purchase I came up with the idea of Brothers and Sisters

I popped over to the hard drive and wrote adjacent lists of 20 lists of  Brother and Sister acts - some well known, some pretty obscure and one or two somewhat tenuous.

The idea is a couple of songs from each or one if I only have one from the acts that I have written down in a random order.  I'm not sure whether to go down the compare and contrast and who is "best" route. I'll leave that to the Musical Jury (© SWC) to decide.

The first two on the list are both well known.

The Allman Brothers Band were a Country Rock band who peaked in the late 60s/early 70s. The brothers in question were Duane and Gregg  both of whom are now deceased  - Duane in 1971 aged just 24 and Gregg in 2017 aged 67. I was pretty late to the party only picking up a compilation a  few years back.

I'm sure that Sister Sledge need no introduction. Formed in 1971 by four sisters - Debbie, Joni, Kim and Kathy Sledge they have produces a series of  absolute classic disco numbers. Sadly Joni died in 2017 aged 60. Debbie and Kim have been ever present with Kathy dipping in and out. 

Two classic songs from each act. I think the Sisters just about shade it

Allman Brothers Band - Ramblin' Man

Allman Brothers Band - Whipping Post

Sister Sledge - We Are Family

Sister Sledge - Lost in Music


11 comments:

  1. Excellent.

    Tough choice though, very applesy and orangey. I tend to veer towards your own verdict.

    Can't wait till Bros appear.

    ReplyDelete
  2. will it be possible to do this series without any country music brothers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Theoretically I should like The Allman Brothers, but for some reason their charms have always eluded me. Therefore the Sister Sledge tunes are my winners by a mile.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh brilliant!
    No personal gender bias here but the sisters definitely get my vote today.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sisters by a mile for me today. Hoping for a few brothers in this series, particularly off-the-beaten path ones like Webb, Elvis and your neighbours the McCluskeys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. As fabulous as the Sister's tracks are, on this occasion I'm going to side with the Allman's (a pun?) just on the basis of Ramblin' Man - I know next to nothing of their music but I've known that track longest hence my loyalty

    ReplyDelete
  7. Meant to add that I hope you include the Davies brothers in this series. Whaddya mean which Davies?

    ReplyDelete