Search This Blog

Tuesday 13 June 2023

Fire Songs

 




2023 Charity Shop Purchases #62 - The Watson Twins - Fire Songs 

The Watson Twins (Chandra and Leigh) first crossed my radar when they accompanied Jenny Lewis on the album Rabbit Fur Coat released in 2006 on Rough Trade . It has appeared here before as one of the 50 Americana Albums You Should Hear Before You  Die. As I said on that previous post  I subsequently saw them put on a cracking show at Glasgow's GUU.

Ever since then I have kept an eye our for any of their solo material. I have come across the odd track here and there with their cover of Richard and Linda Thomson's Shoot the Lights Out having appeared here before.

I had nothing physical by them so I was pretty chuffed to pick up a copy of their album Fire Songs in a St Andrews Charity Shop. From 2008 on the Vanguard label it is their first full length record following on from the 2006 EP Southern Manners.

It is fair to say that it has received mixed reviews. While complimenting their harmonies Pitchfork feel that some of the songs blend into the background. AllMusic is slightly more positive giving it 4/5  saying that the twins  vocals have a sincere, personable Earth Mother tone that keeps this rooted in a recognisable reality even when they float into the land of dreams. (I think that's good).

I wasn't to sure on the first listen but came away more impressed after the second particularly with regards to these two songs.



No comments:

Post a Comment