Search This Blog

Thursday 1 June 2023

Dropkick Me Jesus

 


Dropkick me, Jesus, through the goalposts of lifeEnd over end, neither left, nor the rightStraight through the heart of them righteous uprightsDropkick me, Jesus, through the goalposts of life

So sang the great Bobby Bare and who are we to argue? What is the meaning of Dropkick me Jesus?Written by Paul Craft this tune envision Jesus as a divine American Footballer who can send the narrator soaring past the temptations in life with a heavenly drop kick. I think it is safe to say that the lyrics did not meet with universal approval.

The same could by said of the epic Jesus Built My Hotrod by Ministry with some even disapproving of the music.I have an abiding memory of George and I tumbling out of a car at a French service station playing air guitar to this at full volume to the bemusement of our fellow travellers. I hope it was worth the wait SWC

Surely no-one could ever take issue with the Five Blind Boys of Alabama particularly when they are Living for Jesus

You will not hear many better songs today

Bobby Bare - Dropkick Me Jesus

Ministry - Jesus Built My Hotrod

Five Blind Boys of Alabama - Living For Jesus

6 comments:

  1. Yay. Worth the wait. Such a tune.
    Swc.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "You will not hear many better songs today"
    T-Bone Walker - Street walkin' woman

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Billy Ward & The Dominoes - I'd be satisfied. Clyde McPhatter lead vocal.

      Delete
  3. but I think you're safe now that I'm listening to Sheer Heart Attack

    ReplyDelete